How To Save Water With A Leaky Tap
No homeowner likes a leak let alone a leaky tap, this can cause an increase in the water bill, it can also be a sign of a bigger issue like a clogged or broken pipe somewhere along the line. In fact, based on the "drip calculator" if you have 3 faucets in your home and a leak that drips two times per minute, in the course of one day you will have 8,640 drips which amounts to about 208 gallons per year of water that is being wasted and counted for but is not being used.
How can you save water when you have a leaky tap? It has been in my experience you really can’t, unless you are willing to have a container of some sort that sits under the leaky tap while not in use to catch the drips that are leaking from the faucet, then you can use that water to give the plants a drink or the animals, in which case you wouldn’t have any water that is being wasted. But, in majority of households this is not an option, so our recommendation...get on the phone and call your local professional and have them come and fix the leak and start seeing the difference in your water bill...on the decrease side that it.
How about some facts and tidbits to get your mind gears working...
- On average a household’s leaks can account for more than 10,000 gallons of wasted water per year. This amounts to about 270 loads of laundry!
- Nationwide, household leaks can waste more than 1 trillion gallons of water each year. To put that into perspective, that would be more water than the water used by 11 million homes!
- Ten percent of homes have leaks, these leaks account for 90 gallons of water wasted per day.
- When you notice you have a water leak, you should fix it immediately, this will save you about 10% on your water bill.
- A simple way to check for a leak that you might not be seeing, check your water meter before and after a two hour period, but be sure no water is being used during that time. If the meter reads the same number before and after you are good, but if there is a difference then you probably have a leak.
For reliable Plumber in Hawthorn, Plumber in Malvern East, and Plumber in Malvern, look no further. Our experienced team is ready to handle all your plumbing needs efficiently and effectively. Trust us for all your plumbing emergencies and installations in these areas and also.
Read More : Why A Busted Toilet Is A Problem